One More Slow Cooker Potato Soup
photo by Bonnie G #2
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 40mins
- 10 slices cooked bacon, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12 ounce) can half-and-half or (12 ounce) can heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Add diced potatoes, diced onion, minced garlic, bacon, parsley and chicken broth to the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 6-8 hours on low or on high for 3-4 hours, until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Once the soup has cooked, add butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat and melt. Whisk in the flour until completely combined and gradually add in the evaporated milk or heavy cream, depends which one you are using. Whisk the flour mixture until smooth. With the heat on the lowest stove setting, let the mixture cook until it starts to simmer and is getting thicker, stir occasionally.
- Immediately add the milk-flour mixture to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Using a potato masher, mash about 3/4 of the potatoes.
- Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. Stir well, until fully combined and creamy. Taste for seasoning, add salt and pepper to taste. Continue cooking the soup on low for 30 minutes or on high for 15 minutes.
- COOK'S NOTES.
- If the soup is too thick, add more chicken broth.
- Serve warm, garnished with bacon, cheese and sour cream.
- The soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS: optional toppings: chives, extra shredded cheddar cheese and bacon.
- You can use evaporated canned milk, or for even a richer texture, you can use half and half or heavy cream.
- You can freeze the soup if you want, preferably BEFORE you add the cream or evaporated milk. When you decide to serve it, thaw, add it back to the slow cooker, or to a large pot on the stove pot and mix in the milk mixture, cheese and sour cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>As of 6-14-2013 DH will be completing his tour in Trinidad, which has been a wonderful adventure; and returning home to Dayton, WA. We'll miss all our friends and time there, but looking forward to enjoying home life on the ranch for awhile, while we see what the next adventure might bring.</p> 8726453"