1/2 Photos of Simple/Easy Stuffed Roast Chicken With Gravy (For Beginners)
3 hrs 5 mins
2 hrs 45 mins
This method can be used for roast chicken or turkey. It turns out a lovely moist delicious bird with a tasty stuffing and gravy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (120 g) box chicken flavor stuffing mix
- 1 1/4 cups hot water (hot tap water is ok)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and rough chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon poultry seasoning, to taste
- 1 (5 lb) chicken (fresh or frozen, thawed) or 1 (5 lb) turkey (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- aluminum foil
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Empty contents of stuffing box, both the bread crumb and seasoning envelopes, into a medium bowl.
- 3Add hot water and butter; stir to mix.
- 4Add chopped water chestnuts, onion and poultry seasoning, mix thoroughly and set aside.
- 5Check inside the chicken for giblets, remove and set aside.
- 6Rinse chicken inside and out with cold running water.
- 7Dry thoroughly inside and out with paper towel.
- 8Sprinkle salt and fresh ground pepper inside the cavity and all over the outside.
- 9Place chicken in a roaster.
- 10Loosely pack the stuffing mix into the main cavity and any left into the neck cavity folding the skin over it.
- 11If necessary secure the neck skin with a pick.
- 12Take a length of kitchen string and tie the ends of the legs as close together as possible.
- 13Rub the butter all over the outside of the chicken making sure to cover the whole outside surface.
- 14Take two lengths of aluminum foil, place one piece over the chicken lengthwise, take the other piece and place it sideways over the first piece.
- 15Tuck the foil tightly to the chicken so it is touching the bottom of the roaster but not under the bird.
- 16If the bird is not completely covered (except for the underside) Use a third piece to finish covering.
- 17Place the roaster on the middle rack of the oven and roast at 400f degrees for 15 minutes.
- 18Reduce the heat after 15 minutes to 350f degrees and roast for approximately 2 hours.
- 19At about 2 hours, carefully lift the aluminum foil and poke the chicken with a fork, if the juice runs clear, remove the foil and roast a further 30 minutes to brown the skin to golden.
- 20If the juice is not yet clear, roast a little longer and check again.
- 21Once the chicken is well browned, remove to platter, cover with foil and let rest.
- 22In the meantime, if you wish to make giblet gravy, take the giblets (and neck if it's there), place in a saucepan, cover with water, add salt and pepper and a little poultry seasoning if you wish, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for at least an hour.
- 23Remove to strainer, reserving liquid.
- 24Chop the giblets and pick any meat off neck bones, add to a blender and add the liquid.
- 25Blend to liquefy level, add 3 or 4 tablespoons flour or corn starch and blend to mix well.
- 26Pour off as much fat as possible from the roaster, take a whisk and move up any bits and pieces of stuffing/chicken stuck to the bottom, remove any large pieces of skin, add the giblet mix from the blender, whisk around; place in 450°F to 500°F degree oven until bubbly, about 10 minutes; add a small amount of hot water if necessary if it is too thick until it is the consistancy you want, cook another 5 minutes.
- 27(We like ours very thick) Whisk and pour into gravy boat and serve hot with the roast chicken.
- 28Gravy can also be made without the giblets, just whisk up the brown bits in the roaster and add 1 cup of hot water and make a slurry of cold water and either flour or corn starch, add the slurry and whisk, cook the same as above adding a little more water if necessary.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple/Easy Stuffed Roast Chicken With Gravy (For Beginners)
Serving Size: 1 (529 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1049.2
- Calories from Fat 624
- Total Fat 69.4 g
- Saturated Fat 23.8 g
- Cholesterol 314.8 mg
- Sodium 679.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 74.1 g