1/2 Photos of Sicilian Tuna Steaks in Onion Sauce
I found this recipe somewhere on the 'net, and it is reported to be a classic dish of the islands off the western coast of Sicily. The onions have a decidedly sweet/sour taste which we love, and that would be super as well on a swordfish steak.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1/4 lb onion, as thinly sliced as possible
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 dash cayenne pepper or 1 dash Tabasco sauce
FOR THE TUNA
- 2Saute the onions in olive oil and butter over medium heat in a large skillet.
- 3Add salt and cook, stirring until they are limp.
- 4Stir in vinegar and sugar, and cook over a slightly lower heat until the vinegar has evaporated.
- 5I caution you, the escaping steam will take your breath away so stay well away from the skillet when possible, but do perservere!
- 6When vinegar has evaporated, add cayenne or tabasco, mix well and remove from heat.
- 7The sauce should still retain the texture of the onions and yet retain enough moisture to be spoonable.
- 8Cover and keep warm.
- 10Over medium heat, add olive oil and bay leaves to a skillet large enough to hold tuna steaks in one layer.
- 11When the oil is warm, not hot, add tuna and salt and pepper to taste.
- 12Saute 2-3 minutes per side, but this will depend on thickness of steaks and your doneness preference-- we like ours on the rare side.
- 13Raise heat, add wine, and cover pan a second or two, just until the wine has stopped steaming.
- 14Uncover skillet, cook 30 seconds longer, then transfer tuna to plates.
- 15Spoon the onions and sauce over the top of each, and serve.
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sicilian Tuna Steaks in Onion Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (83 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 232.8
- Calories from Fat 208
- Total Fat 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 167.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 0.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: