Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I found this yummy recipe at a busy cooks website, and wanted to share it. It is like a goulash, but with the added cream cheese & milk, it was so creamy. Even my non-spaghetti eating, picky child loved this dish! We didn't have any parmesean grated cheese so i substituted 4 cheese mexican blend instead, and it was still great. I also like to make things as easy as possible, so I buy frozen chopped green peppers and onions, and just added them to the sauce rather than the green peppers to the macaroni mix.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ounces spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown ground beef, garlic, and onion in heavy saucepan, stirring to break up ground beef. Drain well. Add spaghetti sauce and stir well to blend. Let simmer for 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- Meanwhile, cook elbow macaroni as directed on package. While macaroni is cooking, combine cream cheese and milk in medium bowl. Cook in microwave on medium power for 2-3 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking. Remove from microwave and stir with wire whisk until sauce blends. Drain noodles and add to cream cheese sauce along with sour cream, green pepper, and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- In 2 quart casserole dish, place all of cream cheese mixture. Top with all of the ground beef mixture and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until casserole is bubbly.
- To freeze, add 1 tablespoons cornstarch to the cream cheese sauce. Prepare casserole as directed, except instead of baking, chill in refrigerator. Wrap well and freeze up to 3 months. To thaw and reheat, thaw casserole overnight in refrigerator. Bake, covered, for 25-30 minutes until hot. Uncover, sprinkle with more Parmesan cheese, and bake 5-10 minutes longer until bubbly.
Really great dinner! VERY rich. More rich than we're used to (since I always cook low fat!) but my husband was in heaven. Can't figure out why my kids weren't crazy about this...but they don't like much anyway so I won't blame it on this recipe. I used Classico jarred sauce and increased the garlic to 6 cloves. Followed everything else exactly and it was a very tasty and flavorful dish! Thank you for posting this one!
I have made this two times now and what a HIT!! It's easy to make and taste great! Don't be afraid to be creative and use fun pastas. Go low in fat and use fat free cream cheese and fat free sour cream, I did and the flavor was delish!!!!
This is my husband's favorite dinner. I leave out the green pepper to suit his taste, but it's great either way. It makes for wonderful leftovers, too.