Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is good with a thick chunk of bread and a glass of wine. Source: The Moosewood Cookbook
Make and share this Sicilian Seafood Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes or 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 cups bottled clam juice
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped and undrained
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 lb scallops, rinsed
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 lemon, juice of
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- chopped black olives
- In a large pot, over high heat, saute onion in the olive oil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add in the celery and red and green bell peppers; stir and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, and marjoram; stir to mix.
- Reduce the heat, cover, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the clam juice, tomatoes, and wine.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the scallops and shrimp; cook and stir for about 4 minutes or until the scallops are no longer opaque and the shrimp are pink.
- Add in the lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste; stir to combine.
- Ladle stew into individual serving bowls.
- Sprinkle capers and chopped black olives on top, if desired.