Recipe by FoodFromSicily
This is a wonderful and easy vegetable&pasta recipe that my family has been making for ages. We use only fresh broccoli and I have added bullion cubes to enhance the flavor. I hope you try this delicious and healthy dish.
Top Review by JackieOhNo!
This is something I was raised on by my Italian grandmother, so the taste is very familiar to me, and is like comfort food. I made this pretty much as posted, using 2 bunches of broccoli and 16 oz. of ditalini (while still only using 6 cups of water). I didn't have bouillon cubes, so used powder in its place. I also added some crushed red pepper flakes. The end result was just like I remembered. I served this with some garlic and cheese sausage, but will happily eat the leftovers on their own. The parmegiano cheese is a must. Made for Spring PAC 2013.
- 2 large fresh broccoli
- 1 whole garlic clove
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 bouillon cubes (Use vegetarian bouillon to make this recipe vegetarian.)
- fresh black pepper (to taste)
- parmesan cheese (to taste)
- 1⁄2 lb ditalini (or small shells)
- 6 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place in a dutch oven or a large deep frying pan:.
- Chopped onion and garlic and saute in the olive oil for approximately 10 minutes but do NOT brown. (just a slightly golden color will be good).
- Clean and trim broccoli and cut into 2" pieces.
- Add cut broccoli to garlic and onion.
- turn down flame and add 6 cups very hot water and bullion cubes, & salt & pepper.
- Simmer until broccoili is still slightly crunchy and add pasta.
- Add more water if needed while pasta is cooking with the broccoli as it can absorb alot of the water.
- cook until pasta and broccoli are both tender and most of the water is absorbed.
- turn off the heat and sprinkle a small amount of extra virgin olive oil and approximatly 1/2 cup parmegiano cheese. Toss and serve.
- You can garnish with lemon if you like.