Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Taken from The Hors D'oeuvre Bible by David Paul Larousse and posted for ZWT. Chutney may be made a day or so ahead, and held in the fridge. (I think I would cheat a little and use egg roll wrappers - they are bigger, so less work!)
- 2 oranges, peeled, segments removed, and cut into medium dice
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, grated
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup apricot preserves
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fresh freestone plums, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 scallion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 stalk celery, peeled and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, grated
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 lb cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cut into fine dice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (dissolved in 1/2 c. sherry listed below)
- 1⁄2 cup cold dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1 (40 count) package4 inch wontons (or 20 egg roll wrappers)
- 10 fresh cilantro stems
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Simmer all of the chutney ingredients, except the plums, for 30 minutes. Add the plums, and simmer another 30 minutes.
- Cool, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Sauté the scallion, celery, and ginger in the peanut oil for several minutes.
- Add the cilantro and shrimp, and heat.
- Add the sherry, soy and hoisin sauces, and pepper, and simmer until thick. Remove from the heat, and allow to cool.
- Draw an imaginary line diagonally across a wonton skin.
- Place a small teaspoon of filling in the center, to one side of the imaginary line.
- Dip a finger in water, and moisten the edges of the skin.
- Fold over into a triangle, pressing the edges together.
- Grasp the two broadest comers of the wonton with the thumb and forefinger of each hand.
- Moisten one of the corners, turn them both up, and press the two comers together. Repeat with the remaining skins.
- Preheat an oven to 200°F, and heat the vegetable oil (2 inches deep) in a heavy-gauge pot to 360°F
- Deep-fry the wontons until golden brown.
- Place on absorbent paper, and hold in the oven until all the wontons are fried.
- Serve accompanied by the chutney and cilantro sprigs.