2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Taken from The Hors D'oeuvre Bible by David Paul Larousse and posted for ZWT. Chutney may be made a day or so ahead, and held in the fridge. (I think I would cheat a little and use egg roll wrappers - they are bigger, so less work!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 oranges, peeled, segments removed, and cut into medium dice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, grated
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 2 1/2 lbs fresh freestone plums, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 scallion, finely diced
- 1/2 stalk celery, peeled and finely diced
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, grated
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 lb cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cut into fine dice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (dissolved in 1/2 c. sherry listed below)
- 1/2 cup cold dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1 (40 count) package 4 inch wontons (or 20 egg roll wrappers)
- 10 fresh cilantro stems
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1Simmer all of the chutney ingredients, except the plums, for 30 minutes. Add the plums, and simmer another 30 minutes.
- 2Cool, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 3Sauté the scallion, celery, and ginger in the peanut oil for several minutes.
- 4Add the cilantro and shrimp, and heat.
- 5Add the sherry, soy and hoisin sauces, and pepper, and simmer until thick. Remove from the heat, and allow to cool.
- 6Draw an imaginary line diagonally across a wonton skin.
- 7Place a small teaspoon of filling in the center, to one side of the imaginary line.
- 8Dip a finger in water, and moisten the edges of the skin.
- 9Fold over into a triangle, pressing the edges together.
- 10Grasp the two broadest comers of the wonton with the thumb and forefinger of each hand.
- 11Moisten one of the corners, turn them both up, and press the two comers together. Repeat with the remaining skins.
- 12Preheat an oven to 200°F, and heat the vegetable oil (2 inches deep) in a heavy-gauge pot to 360°F
- 13Deep-fry the wontons until golden brown.
- 14Place on absorbent paper, and hold in the oven until all the wontons are fried.
- 15Serve accompanied by the chutney and cilantro sprigs.
Browse Our Top Oranges Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp Wontons With Plum Chutney
Serving Size: 1 (126 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 118.7
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 47.8 mg
- Sodium 333.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: