Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a fun way to eat shrimp scampi, from the The California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook. Prep time does not include time to make dough (a nice sturdy pizza dough is good for this - one that can hold up to being coated with a butter sauce without going limp and spilling the shrimp!)
garlic shallot butter
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 1⁄3 cup Chardonnay wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chicken base or 1 teaspoon bouillon cube
roasted garlic (I used about half this amount and it was still really good)
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
for the pizza
- 1 recipe pizza dough
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (a blend of mozzarella and parmesan or asiago is good)
- 1⁄4 white onion, sliced into 1/8 inch rings
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled, deveined and cut in half lengthwise (I used smaller shrimp, left them whole and used twice as many)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- garlic shallot butter:.
- melt 1 T butter in a nonstick pan over medium high heat.
- add shallot, garlic and thyme.
- cook, stirring, till mixture is reduced to about 1/2 cup (toward end of reduction, reduce heat to low and stir frequently).
- remove the pan from burner, quickly and thoroughly whisk in remaining 4 T butter.
- roasted garlic:.
- preheat oven to 325.
- coat the coarsely chopped garlic with oil.
- spread the pieces of garlic over the surface of a glass casserole or sheet pan.
- roast in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until the edges of the garlic begin to brown.
- remove the garlic from the oven.
- scrape up the garlic and redistribute it in a single layer to provde even browning.
- return the garlic to oven for another 15 minutes.
- remove from the oven when it is uniformly golden brown. set aside.
- to make pizza:.
- preheat oven to 425.
- prepare dough.
- use a large spoon to spread garlic shallot butter over surface of the crust, within the rim.
- spread mozzarella over the butter sauce.
- evenly distribute the onions and roasted garlic over the cheese.
- place shrimp, skin side up evenly over the cheese and toppings.
- transfer pizza to preheated oven, bake till crust is crispy and golden and the cheese at the center is bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- the shrimp should be opaque and cooked through.
- when pizza is fully cooked, carefully remove from the oven, sprinkle oregano and parsley over the cheese.
- slice and serve.
I have made this several times. Well worth the effort! You can make the garlic shallot butter ahead of time and freeze for later use if you want. I usually do that so I only have to make the sauce every other time.