Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From "Let's Cook Japanese Food!" by Amy Kaneko.
White Sauce Ingredients
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp, peeled
- 1⁄4 lb scallops
- 1⁄4 cup wine or 1⁄4 cup sake
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup white mushroom, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350°F; butter 8-inch square baking dish and set aside.
- In a sauté pan, melt butter until it foams and add flour slowly to form a paste. Slowly add milk and stir until sauce coats spoon, about 5-7 minutes Add salt. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Marinate shrimp, scallops in wine for 10 minutes In a sauce pan, sauté onion until soft, then add mushrooms.
- Add shrimp, scallops and wine and stir to coat with onions. Add garlic, salt and pepper and cook until shrimp and scallops are cooked, about 5 minutes
- Remove pan from heat and drain liquid into a 2 cup glass measuring cup. Set aside. Add enough white sauce to the shrimp liquid to make 2 cups.
- Put rice in prepared baking dish. Top with shrimp mix. Pour white sauce on top until shrimp and rice are covered. Sprinkle cheese on top. Bake 10-12 minutes until bubbly and cheese melts. Garnish with parsley and serve hot.