Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
These puffs are just great as an appetizer. I developed this recipe after making cream puffs and thought it would be a good idea to have something different.
Top Review by sherancasey
Uncle Bill, I had a recipe like this years ago, but I have not been able to find it. When I found this, I knew this was the one. The only difference was that you mixed tomato sauce and sour cream together and spooned it over the top of the puff just before you serve it. Thanks.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 12 ounces canned tiny shrimp or 12 ounces canned tiny fresh shrimp
- 1 celery, , finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 3 large hardboiled egg, chopped
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- TO MAKE PUFFS------------.
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- In a medium size saucepan, combine butter and water; heat to boiling.
- Stir in flour and salt using a wooden spoon.
- Stir until butter/flour mixture forms a thick, smooth base that follows the back of the spoon around the pan.
- Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix in eggs one at a time until mixture is thick and smooth.
- (This is very important to make sure that the mixture is smooth.) Drop by teaspoons onto a lightly greased cookie sheet; space 1 inch apart.
- Bake in preheated 400 F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until puffed and golden; let cool.
- PUFF FILLING-------------.
- Rinse shrimp in cold water; drain well.
- In a medium bowl, combine shrimp, chopped celery, chopped green onions and chopped hard cooked eggs; mix well.
- In a separate bowl using a whisk, blend together mayonnaise, salt and lemon juice; fold into shrimp mixture and chill for about 1/2 hour in refrigerator.
- TO ASSEMBLE PUFFS-----------------.
- Pull or cut tops off the puffs and set aside with each puff.
- Remove any soft membrane from inside puff and discard.
- Stuff with chilled filling.
- Replace tops of puffs.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- You can also use crab in place of shrimp.