Prep 9 hrs
Cook 8 hrs 3 mins
Superb seafood appetizer (or snack):) Make ahead
- 2 1⁄2 quarts water
- 3 lbs unpeeled large fresh shrimp
- 5 small red onions, sliced
- 8 bay leaves
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) bottle capers, drained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup tarragon vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- Bring 2 1/2 quarts water to a boil; add shrimp, and cook 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Peel shrimp, leaving tails intact; devein, if desired Layer shrimp and next 3 ingredients in a large shallow dish.
- Stir together sugar and next 7 ingredients in a small bowl, and pour over shrimp mixture.
- Cover; chill 8 hours, turning occasionally.
- Drain before serving.