Recipe by Mercy
Although it initially seems like a lot of steps, this really is a fairly simple dish to prepare.
Top Review by talespin
I haven't seen any other reviews and have to assume it's because no one else has tried it -- this is oustanding. The flavors are perfectly suited, round and subtly layered. Pretty easy to make also. Try this!
- 1 cup diced leek, white and light green parts (thoroughly washed)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces mild goat cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 12 shrimp, peeled and deveined (26 to 30 per pound)
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 flour tortillas, 8 inches in diameter
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill a saucepan halfway with water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add the leeks, cook about 1 minute, and immediately drain and rinse with cold water.
- Wipe the pan dry and return the leeks to the pan.
- Add cream, goat cheese, salt and pepper.
- Place the pan over medium heat and cook, stirring until the cheese is melted and the sauce is somewhat thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Set aside.
- In a skillet heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the shrimp and sauté until they just turn pink, 1 to 2 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, slice the shrimp lengthwise along their backs so there are now 24 pieces of shrimp.
- For the chipotle cream: In a mini food processor or with a sharp knife, very finely chop the chilies; strain into a small saucepan (there should be about 1 tablespoon puree).
- Add the cream to the pan and heat over medium heat, whisking, until the mixture is smooth and heated through.
- To assemble: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Divide the cheese-leek mixture evenly among 4 tortillas, placing the mixture along the length of the center of the tortillas.
- Place 4 shrimp pieces on top and roll up into a cylinder.
- Place in an 8 x 8-inch ovenproof dish and pour the chipotle cream over all; cover with foil.
- Heat in the oven until warmed through, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and, with a spatula, place 1 enchilada on each plate.
- Top each with 2 pieces of the remaining shrimp and surround with a spoonful of the sauce from the bottom of the baking dish.