Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
The winter season is here and it's time to take more substantial things to eat to work, at least out here where we freeze our patooties off!! This is really yummy, it's very heavy. You might want to use smaller portions. I package this in little to go containers with a garlic, cheese and herb biscuit wrapped and tossed into the container for a complete meal. This is written for the long way .... I tend to cheat a LOT. Using the precooked bacon, frozen pre-chopped onion/celery mix from the freezer, chicken bullion and water, milk instead of cream. However, this is written for the cook that wants to do it the long way (and probably the right way hehe)
- 16 slices thick sliced bacon
- 2 diced onions
- 2 cups celery
- 2 cups frozen sweet corn
- 2 (32 ounce) cartons chicken broth
- 8 cups frozen hash browns, shreds (or 8 cups cooked diced potatoes)
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, cubed
- 2 lbs jumbo tail-off cooked shrimp, quartered
- 16 ounces cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Use a VERY large stock pot.
- Brown bacon over medium high heat, remove and set aside.
- Add onion and celery to bacon drippings, saute for 3 minutes.
- Add corn, chicken broth and potatoes.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Add cream, cream cheese and cooked bacon.
- Simmer chowder for 25 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp and cheddar cheese, mix just until cheese is melted and simmer an additional 10 minutes.
- Freeze in individual containers, wrap a bisquit or roll to toss in with it.
- Reheat in microwave for 4 minutes on high, stirring at 2 minutes. Stir well.