Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is courtesy Martha Nesbit as adapted by Paula Deen on her Houswarming episode on FoodNetwork TV. I have taken the liberty to add a few optional elements, I hope I do the recipe justice.
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup freshly grated romano cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper or 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons diced roasted red peppers, drained (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup small frozen green pea, thawed (optional)
- 3⁄4 lb sea scallops, halved or quartered
- 3⁄4 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- paprika, garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Spray a 13x10" baking dish or aluminum foil pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the lasagna noodles until they are just done, about 8 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy skillet and cook the onion over low heat until very soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook about 1 minute more.
- Over medium-low heat, stir in the flour witha whisk, then gradually add the half-and-half, allowing the sauce to thicken slightly before adding more.
- When the sauce has thickened to about the consistency of whipping cream, add the cheese and stir well.
- Add the roasted red peppers and thawed peas, stir again.
- Add the salt and pepper and stir again.
- Add the scallops and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and cook 1-2 minutes longer or until the shrimp turn pink.
- Turn off the heat.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the sauce from the skillet into the prepared pan.
- Cover the bottom with 4 noodles, placing them side by side.
- Spoon 1/3 of the sauce over the noodles, distributing half of the seafood evenly.
- Layer 4 more noodles, 1/3 of the sauce and remaining seafood.
- Cover with the last 4 noodles and the remaining sauce.
- For the top layer, do not spoon any seafood on top of the noodles; just use the sauce.
- Tuck in any edges of the noodles so they're all coated with the sauce.
- Top with Parmesan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, uncovered, until bubbly.
- Sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
- Allow to sit for 10 minutes before slicing.
Very simple to make, and absolutely delicious.
Sensational! Thank you for sharing. I left out the Onion, & roasted red peppers & used Garlic Salt instead of salt & the cloves. Also added a 1/2 cup of Fontina Cheese. Thank you for this recipe, it was a big hit in my home.
This was absolutely scrumptious! I was going to post this if no one else had. Highly recommend. I'd give it more stars if I could!