Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Real Simple Magazine
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces andouille sausages or 8 ounces kielbasa, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 12 saffron threads, crumbled
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 3⁄4 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄3 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 sprigs fresh cilantro (optional)
- Heat the oil in a wok or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes total.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Spoon off and discard all but 1 tablespoon of the fat.
- Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, saffron, and rice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir the shrimp and peas into the rice, cover, and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Season with the salt and pepper. Spoon onto plates and add the cilantro (if using).