Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A tasty Asian noodle bowl.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb Chinese egg noodles
- 20 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 lb cake tofu, diced (optional)
- 10 spinach leaves, stems removed
- soy sauce, to taste
- 2 scallions, chopped (white part and some green, for garnish)
- Heat the peanut oil in a Dutch oven.
- Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, water, and noodles and bring to a boil. Cook until noodles are done.
- Reduce heat to simmer and add shrimp and cook 2 minutes.
- Add the tofu and spinach, and cook for 3 minutes more.
- Add soy sauce and serve with the green onion garnish.
Very good! I made it for lunch on a short RV trip. Left out the tofu but did add some chili paste like a reviewer suggested. My liquid held up great but I did use the soft soba noodles so they heated up quickly. For a light lunch it was great if I was to prepare it for a hearty dinner I would add more of the shrimp. Thanks for posting. :)
This is a wonderful, tasty soup! I did, however, have a slight problem when cooking the noodles. With 4 minutes left to go (according to the package directions) the liquid was rapidly disappearing. Luckily I had another can of chicken stock so I added it and was able to finish the noodles. Other than that I followed directions as posted except for adding some chili paste for a little kick. ;) I see myself making this soup often but I would like to try it with more shrimp and spinach because I thought they got a little lost in all the noodles. Don't get me wrong, this soup is great as is and I really enjoyed it! Thanks so much for posting, mikekey! It was perfect for a cold, windy, Seattle day. :)