Southern Living; for special occasions.
Make and share this Shrimp and Crabmeat Au Gratin recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- 1 lb shrimp, deveined and cooked
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup crushed cracker crumb
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon paprika
Medium Cream Sauce
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk or 3 cups half-and-half
- Medium Cream Sauce: Melt butter in a sauce pan; stir in flour and cook for a minute; add milk or half and half and stir constantly until sauce thicken.
- Saute shrimp and crabmeat in butter.
- Add sherry, sharp cheese, and hot cream sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat thoroughly and pour into a casserole or individual au gratins.
- Sprinkle top with cracker crumbs, Romano cheese, and paprika.
- Dot with butter and cook at 350 degrees until golden brown.
Ya know, when a chef lives in south Louisiana a chef's got to do what a chef's got to do. I added green bell pepper, celery and green onions. I couldn't disguise them in my photo so I have to own up to it. This is absolutely a delightful and company-worthy dish.
Just the recipe I was looking for! Our favorite restaurant in Highlands, NC serves this dish. With the addition of mushrooms, a little vidalia onion, and a dash or two of worchestshire, it turned out so perfect my hubby raved and gave this one 10 stars. QUICK, EASY, DELICIOUS
Quite good. Not too hard. Cut it in half and it still made plenty. Thank you.