1/4 Photos of Shrimp and Butternut Squash in Coconut Milk Broth
This recipe comes from an issue of Cooking Light. A co-worker came in several times and heated up this wonderful scented soup. He finally brought the recipe in and it is just so tasty. The lime juice gives it a little tang, the coconut milk and cilantro give it a light and fresh taste, and the shrimp and squash make it filling. Chicken or firm water-packed tofu can be used in place of the shrimp.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 2 cups butternut squash, 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined and halved lengthwise
- 2 cups hot cooked basmati rice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1Combine chicken broth, brown sugar, salt, tomato paste, crushed red pepper, black pepper and coconut milk in a large saucepan and stir with a whisk.
- 2Stir in squash and bell peppers.
- 3Bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until squash is tender.
- 5Stir in shrimp.
- 6Bring to a boil and cook for about 1-2 minutes or until shrimp are done; stirring occasionally.
- 7Stir in rice, lime juice, and cilantro. Heat for 2 minutes.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Shrimp and Butternut Squash in Coconut Milk Broth
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 246.9
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 143.2 mg
- Sodium 1265.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 19.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
light coconut milk