Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Don't know where this came from, but I've always had a lot of fun playing around with this recipe. It's a great way to use up bits and pieces of fruits or vegetables that you don't know what else to do with.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2⁄3 cup fruit juice or 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 cups shredded fruit or 3 cups vegetables
- Note: The shredded fruits or veg can be carrots, zucchini, apples, squash, pears--you're pretty much only limited by your imagination. You can use a mashed banana for part of the three cups, too.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and cinnamon in large bowl.
- Combine juice or milk, eggs, oil and sugar in med bowl. Add wet to dry ingredients.
- Stir just till moistened.
- Fold in shredded veggies.
- Pour into greased 9" loaf pan. Bake 55-65 minute.
Great, flexible recipe. Can easily mix-n-match veggies/fruits, as long as all are finely shredded (okay that's what works best with the kids, who love this bread). I find it a bit too sweet for my own tastes with the 1/2 cup sugar plus fruit juice, and I find that it is just as appealing to the kids with 1/4 cup sugar, no fruit juice, and 1/4 cup apple sauce in place of the oil. Very moist!