photo by cornmaiden8
- Ready In:
- 4 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can pork and beans in tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 cups chopped ham
- In a large sauce pan or dutch oven, over medium heat, cook bacon and onions until tender.
- Add tomatoes, stirring to break up (or use diced tomatoes.) Stir in beans, ketchup, brown sugar, chili powder, cumin and hot pepper flakes.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Add ham, cook 10 minutes longer to warm through.
Made this tonight. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I did follow the recipe as listed. Not sure if this will make it in my rotational saved recipes. I feel that adding veggies would probably enhance this. This definitely reminded me of eating Bush's Original Baked beans (with bacon and brown sugar). I may tweak what I have. I wish I would have cut the portion in half - lesson learned.
I registered for food.com just to rate this one recipe. It is unbelievable, don't change a thing. I won my company's chili-cook off today and had to send the recipe out to everyone who tasted it because they want to make it this weekend at their Halloween parties. Everyone has been talking about it all afternoon. Thank you from the bottom of all our stomachs!! And thanks for making me a rockstar for the day!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live with my husband, four cats, and a sweet mutt named Jada in Scarborough, Ontario, where I work as an elementary school administrative assistant. I have a 31 year old daughter who lives with her boyfriend in nearby Don Mills, along with my sweet granddogs, Frankie and Turbo. I would have to say that my passion is animals, since I have so many of them! <br /><img src=http://images.quizilla.com/H/h0t5auce/1108834307_brown_answer.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/532663/cookswithcattitude.JPG alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/copperhorse58/CalendarGirlsSwap2009.jpg alt= /> <br /><br />If I had a month off work to do what I please, I would first catch up on my sleep and then just have fun - see a few movies and maybe take a couple of short trips - something that wouldn't break the bank - lol!</p>