the best thing about "philly cooks" a fund raiser for aids which featured 50 of philly's finest resteraunts, was this dish! after i went back for the 3rd time i persuaded the adorable chef of Valanni's to share his recipe- and he did. when i made this at home it was every bit as good as the original.
- have your butcher cut the lamb for you leaving the shoulder bone in, but removing the rib bones and extra fat.
- preheat oven to 350.
- trim fat off the roast.
- brown in a frying pan on all sides, remove.
- score the meat on all sides and rub with mixed cumin, coriander, salt, pepper.
- put into a tagine or a roasting pan, roast uncovered for 30 minutes.
- remove and lower heat to 250.
- add onions, carrots and scallions to lamb, to cover pour chicken stock in to fill half way cover and cook aprox 4 hours.
- remove from oven.
- the lamb will be very tender and the 2 large bones will come right out.
- you can shred the lamb with 2 forks.
- put the tagine or roaster on the stovetop and reduce the cooking liquid to 1/2, about 20 minutes.
- add lamb back, serve.
- this tastes great topped with a dab of fig jam.