Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a great recipe, modified from a Mark Bittman recipe. You can also use stew meat if you like.
- 1360.77 g beef short ribs
- 453.59 g red potatoes or 453.59 g white potato, quartered and peeled (if you don't like skins)
- 473.18 ml chopped onions
- dry red wine
- 29.58 ml Dijon mustard
- 236.59 ml chicken stock or 236.59 ml vegetable stock or 236.59 ml water
- salt and pepper
- Brown the short ribs in a Dutch oven over medium heat (takes about 20 minutes) or use the oven, turning the ribs once, for 20 minutes at 500 F.
- Remove ribs to a plate, reserving about 2 tablespoons of the fat in a large pot.
- Add the onions to the fat and cook 10-15 minutes, or until onions have softened.
- Add the stock or water, and a couple tablespoons of the wine (you can omit the wine totally, or add as much as you like).
- Bring to a boil and place the ribs back into the pot, covered.
- Add salt and pepper.
- If liquid looks low, add more wine and stock or water.
- Cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes, put the heat on low and simmer for about 30 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stew should be done when potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the dijon mustard evenly, and enjoy with thick slices of bread and butter.