Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Many chefs would argue that this should be called "Cottage Pie" since it calls for beef rather than lamb but I've never heard of it being made without meat! Personally, I think this is an excellent dish, full of flavour Although not included in the original list of ingredients, I tossed in a handful of frozen peas & corn before assembling - leftover veggies could also be used. This recipe was created by Toronto's own Lucy Waverman & published in the Autumn 2007 edition of Food & Drink magazine. Thank you Lucy!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (1/4-inch to 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery (1/4-inch to 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot (1/4-inch to 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 cup chopped rutabagas (1/4-inch to 1/2-inch cubes) or 1 cup turnip (1/4-inch to 1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup diced canned tomato with juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 lbs yukon gold potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- FILLING: Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat; add vegetables & saute until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Crumble beef & add to mixture along with garlic, cayenne, thyme and salt & pepper to taste; saute until beef loses its pinkness, about 3 minutes, then drain off excess fat.
- Stir in flour & remaining ingredients for the filling; bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer for 30 to 35 minutes or until the sauce has thickened to the consistency that you prefer.
- TOPPING: Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, about 20 minutes; drain well, return to pot & dry off on turned-off burner.
- Mash with butter & milk; stir in freshly ground pepper.
- ASSEMBLY: Spoon beef mixture into a medium sized baking dish & top with potato mixture.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in a preheated 375F oven or until mixture is bubbling.