Recipe by smellyvegetarian
Posted by Geri on www.ivu.org, posting for ZWT 7, Africa. I am cutting the recipe down as the original serves 17!!
Top Review by KristinV
We really enjoyed this dish for dinner tonight. I used brown rice and black beans because that's what I had on hand. I felt there was a little 'something' missing but it was very tasty as is. Made for ZWT 7 (The Hot Pink Ladies)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 large onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 0.5 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup black-eyed peas (pre-soaked)
- 2 carrots, well-chopped
- 1 yam, well-chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups rice
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In one big pot or vat, saute chopped garlic and onions.
- When translucent, add tomato paste and mix it in thoroughly.
- Then add water (about 5 cups)- when it boils add vegetable bouillion cube, beans, carrots and yams, pepper, hot pepper and salt.
- Boil until beans are tender.
- Then add rice.
- Boil 10 minutes covered, then 10 minutes uncovered.
- Don't stir until the very end.
- You may need to add some more water.
- If it is too watery, boil it uncovered some more.