Spinach - (M'chicha) - East African
This is another recipe from the web, which I found for our ZWT 7 - for Africa, which I have not tried. The addition of chopped peanuts to the spinach gives it a delightful crunchiness, the grated coconut is an unexpected flavor.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 ounces butter (or margarine)
- 1 cup peanuts, finely chopped (or ground)
- 2 (8 ounce) packages frozen spinach, chopped, thawed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 drops Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut, grated (optional)
- In a 2-quart saucepan add the butter and saute the onions and peanuts until lightly browned.
- Next add the chopped spinach and saute until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the salt and tabasco and serve with poached or scrambled eggs.
- Top with grated coconut if using.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Must say that I enjoyed this a lot. I did sub kale for the spinach as I currently have a lot of it. I steamed it for a short time just to soften it a bit. I wouldn't thought of cooking the onions and large chopped peanuts to but this is a great new way (for me) to add flavor and texture. I made a half amount and there was still lots so I'll happily finish it off tonight.
This is a real winner, BK! Loved the crunch from the peanuts in combination with the soft spinach! The flavours blend very nicely and the heat is just right. I think this would go great with many different types of meals and cant wait to try your suggestion of serving it with an egg. I had it plain this time and really liked that, too!<br/>THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this keeper with us!<br/>Made and reviewed for Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #55 August 2011.