Recipe by Sharon123
Nummy nums! This looks like bacon and even smells like it when cooking. I'm having fun making different seitan(or gluten) recipes. This fulfills that craving I have once in a while for the taste of bacon, without the meat, fat and nitrates. In order to make this recipe ”look” like bacon you will need to make two separate seitan doughs, one red and one white. Layering them and then slicing makes it look like bacon! From veggieinmilwaukee.
Top Review by jweber0205
Thank you for the shout out! The key to success with this recipe is to undercook it like it says. Other recipes cook it for way too long and it's dried out. I've since upped the liquid smoke to give it more flavor. Add fresh ground pepper to add to the complex flavors. New blog link at: https://gettinghealthyongoodfood.wordpress.com/
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1⁄4 cup soy flour (can substitute chickpea or other flour)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2⁄3 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (I sometimes use ketchup)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 tablespoons soy flour (or other flour)
- 1 tablespoon nuttitional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 3 teaspoons canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the doughs up and form into balls, each one separately.
- Break the red dough into 4 pieces and the white dough into 3-4 pieces. Flatten each piece and layer alternating colors on top of each other. This is your time to be creative. Once you have a big block of dough lay it on an oiled cutting board. Place another cutting board/saran wrap on top. Press your dough for at least 30 minutes.
- After your dough has been pressed bake at 300F for 45 minutes. Your seitan will be a bit undercooked but this is what you want. It makes it easier to slice and it will pan-fry better.
- Slice into bacon strips and pan fry to the desired crispness you like. Enjoy!