Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is the best vegetarian or vegan stroganoff I've tried yet. It came from Farm Sanctuary's Guide to Vegan Living and I've only slightly changed it. One way I improved it for our taste is by using Mckay's Chicken Seasoning broth instead of Vegetable Broth or water and adding 3 Tablespoons of Vegan Sour Cream. We will be making this often from now on. Hope you enjoy it!
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄3 cups vegan chicken broth or 1 1⁄3 cups vegetable broth or 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic granules
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 teaspoons canola oil or 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup green onion
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms or 3 cups portabella mushrooms
- 2 cups seitan (strips thinly sliced)
- ground black pepper, to taste
- egg-free pasta (one normal sized package)
- 3 tablespoons vegan sour cream
- Gravy: Stir cornstarch and soy sauce together in a 2-quart saucepan and make a thin, smooth, paste. Whisk in the broth or water and garlic granules. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until it thickens and comes to a boil. Remove from heat and beat in the tahini and vegan sour cream. Cover the saucepan and set aside.
- Place oil in a large skillet and heat over medium-high. When the oil is hot, sauté the onion and garlic for 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir the seitan strips and the reserved gravy into the onions and mushrooms. Reduce heat to low and stir often, about 5 to 10 minutes, until the seitan is heated through.
- Season the stroganoff with ground pepper. Serve at once over egg-free noodles.
Really good and hearty veg food, this. The only thing I would do different would be to let the seitan soak in the gravy for a bit before cooking...just to impart a bit more flavor to it. It was still really fantastic, though!
This was delicious. I did make some substitutions based on what I had on hand and it was so good I don't think I'll change to the original when I make this again (and I will definitely be making this again). I used vegan beef broth instead of chicken broth. Additionally, I thought I had seitan, which is actually how I came across this recipe, but didn't so I replaced it with Gardein beefless tips. This was definitely not a paltry substitute of a hearty classic; this is a fantastic, homey meal in its own right. It's sure to please any meat-eater or any herbivore missing meat.
This was really great! Doesn't taste exactly like traditional stroganoff but is really flavorful and hearty. Will make again! Thanks Enjolinfam....