Amazing Vegetarian or Vegan Lasagna
photo by mersaydees
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 12 lasagna noodles (estimate)
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (19 ounce) can of worthington veggie burgers (you can also use another vegemeat like crumblers or gluten)
- 1 (26 ounce) can spaghetti sauce (I like Hunt's Garlic and Herb Spaghetti Sauce)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 lb firm tofu
- 1 (300 g) package frozen chopped spinach (or you can substitute fresh asia eggplant our personal favorite, or another type of eggplant)
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or 3/4 cup soy cheese
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook lasagna noodles according to the package directions.
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add vegeburger or gluten.
- Stir in speggetti sauce and parsley; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Combine tofu and spinach and yeast flakes (if using eggplant instead, don’t combine with tofu. Instead slice eggplant into thin pieces and set aside).
- Put a thin layer of sauce and vegemeat on the bottom of a Large baking dish (our baking dish was bought in Asia and doesn’t have the measurements listed, but it’s big).
- Place on layer of (3-4) noodles (slightly overlapped) on top of the sauce. Add another layer of sauce (can add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and now is when you would add some sliced eggplant if you are using it).
- Repeat the last step until you get to the middle layer (usually there are 3-5 layers total depending on the depth of your pan).
- In the middle layer the tofu & spinach (or layer the tofu and then add another layer of eggplant on top). Then continue with the previous layering of sauce & vegemeat and noodles.
- The top layer should be covered in sauce with the Mozzarella or Soy Cheese sprinkled on top.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees F or 180 degrees Celsius.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made this up to take over to a neighbor couple, but it was actually a trial run to see how it suit my vegetarian son & DIL! It turned out GREAT, & I'll be making it another time just for the family here! Even used a homemade meatless pasta sauce, & that made it even more special for us! I did leave out the yeast flakes, but the parmesan cheese is definitely not optional around here, even if I did gift most of it to the neighbors! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my Vegetarian groupmates in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 5]
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Update: We've moved back to the states, and are experiencing the joys of living in Wenatchee, WA for the first time! I'm spending most of my time in the kitchen canning, freezing, and drying fruit now and loving it! We are a couple, Jason and Mollie, that loves to cook together. We have two wonderful DD's, Enjoli (9) and Emily (7) that make life so much more fun! I, Mollie, studied Nutrition so I try to make most of our meals healthy while still tasting great! Our girls love helping us cook...and eat! We're vegetarian and love eating healthy without missing any flavor! We try to eat mostly vegan, so we have many vegan recipes posted. We are world traveling missionaries and students that have visited many countries and have lived in the States, South Korea, and are currently in the Philippines. So we always need to adjust our menu based on the food available. Zaar has been a tremendous help! <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/385678/CIMG0152%20%282%29.JPG"> <img src="http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/nowsonexitmusic/unratedpart.jpg"> <img src="http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm286/celticevergreen/indianbanner.jpg"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/KBparticipation.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/nowsonexitmusic/vegbannerbasetemp-small.jpg?t=1232859306"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/AMpageSticker.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/nowsonexitmusic/soupbanner-small.jpg?t=1227755026"> <img src="http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/flower753/Food/my3chefsnov2008.jpg"> <img src="http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/nowsonexitmusic/turmerictag-small.jpg?t=1225271033"> <img src="http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/HokiesLady65/123HitAMpage.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/IWasAdoptedfall08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PACfall08partic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/nowsonexitmusic/mushroombanner-smallpic.jpg"> <img src="http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/4902/41213577264b44m3kh4.png"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Other/BreakfastanytimeSTCK.jpg"> <img src="http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t237/akplongmeadow/AdoptATag2-2-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/NZT-2-AnnaciasZaarTagbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Annacia's banner for Zaar Tag"> <img src="http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/Copyoftag300-banner.jpg" border="0" alt="Susie's Banner for Newest Zaar Tag"> <img src="http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap2/group09okra.jpg"> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap2/group10peppers.jpg> <img src="http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/nowsonexitmusic/banner-smalltemp.jpg"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/CROCKPOTSTKR.jpg"> <img src="http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8756/babyhuntsman1lz7.jpg"> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group07kiwi.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group02banana.jpg> <img src="http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/4902/41213577264b44m3kh4.png> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%204/ZWTAB-tg.gif"> <img src="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/My-3-Chefs%20banners/my3chefs2008Small.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Camera-ChefsJPEG.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%204/ZWTAB-tg.gif"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/CopyofCopyofskewered.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg"> <img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/personal/FRENCH-foodfun.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/participation%20banners/coolmonday-particiation.jpg" border="0" alt="Cookathon for Cool Monday (1)"> <img src="http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/Saturn6666/Other/tagforpage1.jpg"> <img src="http://www.satsleuth.com/cooking/Swap14.JPG"> <img src="http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/ANNMAG/01226~Tofu-Posters.jpg">