Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
Serve with Fresh vanilla ice cream and some fresh whipped cream from the Retro Diner cookbook by Linda Everett
- 1 quart blackberry, washed and stemmed
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In greased baking dish pour in berries and sprinkle with 1 1/2 cups sugar. Use less if the berries are very sweet.
- In a separate bowl combine the other ingredients.
- Pour flour mix over berries. Bake 45 minutes or until the crust is light brown and bubbly.
- Serve with fresh whipped cream and/or vanilla ice cream. And don't forget to tip the waitress.
The quantities for sugar and milk in the recipe are reversed. Also, if you bake it for 45 minutes at 375 you'll wind up with a fruit cinder - as opposed to a fruit slump. Otherwise this is a wonderful dish.
This was very good. My boys picked me about 2 qts so I doubled the recipe. I put one third of the sugar called for into the batter rather than on the berries. I also added some vanilla to it. I also sprinkled the top with cinnamon sugar. Thanks for sharing!!