Recipe by Chef Lulubelle in New Brunswick, Canada
The date on top of the page of this recipe is Dec. 14, 1995. I've been making it ever since and passed the recipe to many friends and family members. I usually put the salmon and/or haddock, cod in last so it will not all fall apart when mixing. I usually just use crotons for topping, plain or garlic. I serve this with white or wild rice, can also be served with pasta or alone...or with anything you want.
Top Review by waynejohn1234
So glad you put this recipe in print - it has been around for a long time but is a crowd pleaser. I only make 1 change and that is to substitute dry white wine for part of the liquid from the shellfish. We prefer it this way. Highly recommend this recipe......
- 2 lbs scallops or 2 lbs lobsters or 2 lbs shrimp or 2 lbs haddock or 2 lbs crab or 2 lbs cod or 2 lbs salmon
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cream (I use cereal cream)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mushroom (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add raw fish and simmer 3 or 4 minutes. (longer if frozen).
- Remove fish.
- Dissolve chicken bouillon cubes in the cooking liquid. Pour into a two cup measure including any liquid from canned shellfish.
- In a sauce pan, heat butter, stir in the flour and cook several minutes.
- Gradually beat in the 2 cups of hot liquid. Continue to stir and cook until sauce thickens.
- Add cheddar cheese, cook and stir until well blended.
- Remove from heat.
- Combine egg yolks and cream, beat with a fork and add slowly to the sauce while stirring vigorously.
- Wash and slice mushrooms, cook in 1 tbsp butter.
- Add the mushrooms, worchestershire sauce, cayenne pepper and shellfish to the sauce. Taste carefully and add salt if required.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Pour mixture into 1 1/2 quart lightly greased casserole or individual scallop shells.
- Toss bread cubes in melted butter and sprinkle over top.
- Bake in the oven until bread cubes are golden. Approx 15 minute.