Recipe by WJKing
This recipe is adapted from one published in Taste of Home magazine. It's delightful in that you can substitute, add or remove the filling ingredients to suit your particular tastes. Enjoy! Prep time doesn't include 1 hour dough rising time. My children (ages 5 & 4) LOVE this recipe - no complaints about the spinach! HOORAY!
Top Review by sne
Very Good! I wasn`t sure how my family would like the spinach, but I didn`t get one complaint. I did add a slice of mozerella cheese in each calzone. Will definately make them again. Thanks for sharing this recipe
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup water (110-115 F)
- 3⁄4 cup warm milk (110-115 F)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 -3 1⁄4 cups flour (I make one of the three cups whole wheat flour)
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed & well drained
- 15 ounces low-fat small-curd cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- mushroom, sliced or chopped (optional)
- onion, chopped (optional)
- additional olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups pizza sauce, warmed
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, dissolve yeast in water& milk.
- Add oil, salt, sugar and 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth.
- Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface& knead until smooth& elastic- approx.
- 6-8 minutes.
- Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease the top.
- Cover& let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain.
- Add spinach, cheeses, parsley& pepper; mix well.
- (mushrooms, onions, etc. can be added at this point) Punch down dough; divide into six pieces.
- On floured surface, roll each piece into 8" circle.
- Top each w/ 2/3 c.
- Fold dough over filling; pinch to seal.
- Place on greased baking sheets that have been sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Brush tops lightly with oil; sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with pizza sauce.