Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Chutney, red currant jelly and mustard combine in a tangy gravy. Old recipe from Scotland brought over after the Second World War to Ontario.
- 8 -12 small onions, whole
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs top round beef or 1 1⁄2-2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons drippings or 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 -2 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 -2 tablespoon red currant jelly
- 1 tablespoon chutney
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, small, whole
- Peel onions. Trim excess fat off meat. Toss meat in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Heat drippings or oil in heavy casserole pan and brown meat. Add tomatoes with juice and mustard, blending well. Add remaining ingredients. Stir well. Cover and simmer for 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours until meat is tender. Serve with Oatmeal Biscuits. Yield: 4-6 servings.
- Simmering Suppers.