Prep 50 mins
Cook 25 mins
The BEST scones ever !!!
Make and share this Scones recipe from Food.com.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter, chilled
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 cup dried cranberries (or any other dried fruit, chopped )
- 1⁄2 cup white chocolate chips (or any other chips, nuts, or a combination, optional )
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients.
- Work in the butter with a fork just until the mixture is unevenly crumbly; it's ok for some large chunks of butter to remain unincorporated.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla and milk. Stir in the fruit, chips, and /or nuts, if using them.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until all is moistened and holds together.
- Scrape the dough onto a floured pan or a parchment lined baking sheet, and divide it in half. Round each half into a 5" circle; or a 6" circle ( if you've added fruit, nuts, etc. ). The circles should be about 3/4" thick.
- Using a knife that you've run under cold water, slice each circle into 6 wedges.
- Carefully, pull the wedges away form the center to separate them just a bit; there should be about 1/2" space between them, at their outer edges.
- Sprinkle scones with coarse sugar ( or cinnnamon ), if desired.
- Place the pan of scones in the freezer for 30 minutes, uncovered.
- While the scones are chilling, preheat the oven to 400º F.
- Bake the scones for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they're golden brown.
- Remove the scones from the oven, and cool briefly on the pan. Serve warm.
- To store scones, cool them in a wire rack. When they're completely cool, wrap in plastic and keep at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- Notes: To make free-form rather than wedge-shaped scones, use a large ice cream scoop or spoon, dollop the scone dough in a 1/3 -cupfuls onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Scones can be frozen. To reheat frozen scones, tent them lightly with foil and place them in a preheated 350º F oven for about 20 minutes.
These are so easy to make, and boy are they delicious! Perfect combination of flakiness and softness. Just the right amount of sweetness as well. My family really enjoy them. Kudos Chef Glaucia.
WOW! What a hit. Followed to a T and they were amazing. No more hockey-puck scones in this house!
I just made these scones and they're fantastic, not too sweet not too dry. I found the bake time was closer to 30-33 minutes. I will definitely make these again!