Recipe by Julesong
This recipe originally came from Fairbanks’ Margaret Clark in “Good Food A-Plenty,” but I’ve fiddled with it a lot. :) Delicious! (Time does not include marination.)
- 1587.57 g small bay scallops
- lime juice (fresh preferred)
- 44.37 ml orange juice
- 4.92 ml champagne vinegar
- 78.07 ml olive oil
- 0.59-1.23 ml Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh sweet basil, to taste
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh parsley, to taste
- 4.92 ml granulated sugar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 medium red onions, finely chopped (sweet Italian onions)
- 113.39 g canchopped mild green chilies (do not drain)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
- grated orange rind, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Place scallops in a shallow airtight container such as Tupperware and add lime juice to cover. Cover tightly and refrigerate for eight hours. Place marinated scallops in a colander and drain thoroughly, but do not rinse.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the orange juice, vinegar, olive oil, Tabasco, garlic, basil, parsley, and sugar, then add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Add remaining ingredients (except for orange rind garnish), toss, adjust seasoning.
- Add the drained scallops, toss well, and refrigerate until time of serving.
- To serve, toss ceviche again to coat, then place in lettuce-lined shallow bowl and sprinkle with grated orange rind.
- Note: other mild white fish can be substituted for scallops, such as flounder.
- Makes 8-10 side servings.