Recipe by Brookelynne26
Found this recipe in a Southern Living Cookbook. It is a bit different from the usual recipes in that it uses both baking and sweet potatoes and also gruyere cheese. Posting here for safekeeping; I haven't tried it yet but it looks delicious.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 8 ounces shredded gruyere cheese, divided
- 1 3⁄4 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut in pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in oil over medium high heat until tender. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds longer. Remove from heat and set aside. Place the potatroes in a large bowl.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Combine flour, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle over potatoes, tossing to coat. Arrange half of the potatoes in a greased 13x9 inch baking dish. Top with onion, ham, and half of the cheese. Top with the remaining potatoes. Pour cream over potatoes, dot with butter, and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Uncover, top with the rest of the cheese, and bake 20 minutes more, or until potatoes are tender and cheese is browned. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.