Scalloped Sweet Potatoes With Ham
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 2⁄3 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, plus
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 3⁄4 lb ham (cubed)
- Gently boil the sweet potatoes until the skins can be slipped (a fork will easily pierce the potato, but not go into the center.) Drain the potatoes. Cool until they can be handled, then slice into 1/4 inch slices.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a double boiler, melt the butter. Add the onions and let them cook until translucent. Stir in the flour, mustard, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir a few minutes until it is thickened and slightly changes color. Stirring, gradually add the milk. Stir in 3/4 cup of the cheese until melted, then remove from heat.
- Spray a 9" x 13" rectangle baking dish with Pam or grease it. Then layer 1/2 the sliced potatoes, 1/2 the ham, 1/2 the cheese sauce twice.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and bake 30 minutes at 350°F.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I cut up a couple pounds of sweet potatoes to fry for Superbowl, but with all the food served that day didn't get to it, So upon googleing ingrediants I had came upon this recipe and I'm sooo glad I did! I followed the recipe exactly, although my yams were sliced not cubes. I have tried many sweet potato recipes and this is by far my, and my familys fave. I know I'm going to be making this over and over in the future. I made it days ago and my family is still talking about it. Thanks so much for posting this amazing recipe! It was perfect.
I'm always interested in new ways to prepare yams, & this recipe is A REAL WINNER ~ Different, easy to make & very nice tasting! I chopped the unpeeled yams into 1/4" pieces & steamed them & then went on to Step 2 of the directions! What made this so different (& so nice)for me was the inclusion of both cheddar cheese & ham! Definitely a keeper recipe! Thanks for sharing it! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in the Spring's Pick A Chef]
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
It's just hubby and I these days. We're retired, but far from spending time in the rocking chair. I enjoy cooking, but usually just do what is quick and easy. I like to have a good supply of things to just thaw and heat in the freezer, so I usually make enough to do two or more meals at a time.