Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
photo by Mami J
- Ready In:
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/2 lengthwise, and cut into paper thin slices
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spread half of the sliced potatoes in the bottom of a lightly buttered baking dish.
- Sprinkle with half of the butter and cheese.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Add remaining sweet potato slices.
- Pour milk over potatoes.
- Top with remaining butter and grated cheese.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made this for dinner today. I had to bake them at 325 instead of 425 because of the turkey tenderloin I had in the oven. Turned it up the last 10-15 minutes. After eating, DB and I were sitting there saying it needed something. He said add cinnamon, then it went to paprika, then I said cayenne pepper. I pulled out the cayenne pepper and sprinkled it on a serving. That did the trick! This one is a keeper and would be a great potluck recipe. Thank you!
Followed the recipe to the letter. I had to cook them longer than directed, because the potatoes weren't done, which led the cheese to get a little over done. I did add some more cheese to the top to help. They were okay, but everyone agreed they didn't have much flavor and needed additional sesoning.
see 11 more reviews