Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This rib-sticking dish is also easily made with leftover turkey. From the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 5 -6 lbs roasting chickens, cut into serving pieces
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (approximate)
- 3 cups breadcrumbs, coarsely crumbled
- 2 cups shell macaroni, cooked
- 2 eggs, hard-cooked and sliced
- 1 stalk celery (optional)
- 2 slices onions (optional)
- Place chicken pieces in a large pan.
- Add water to half cover and simmer until tender, about 2 hours.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt per pound after first hour of cooking.
- Add celery and onion for extra flavor, if desired.
- Remove chicken from bones and chop.
- Thicken broth, allowing 2 tablespoons of flour per cup of liquid; add chopped chicken, 2 cups of coarse bread crumbs and macaroni.
- Butter a casserole or baking dish; place a layer of egg, one of chicken and macaroni mixture, another layer of egg and so on.
- Mix remaining cup of crumbs with a little butter and sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake at 350F for about an hour.