1/1 Photo of Savory Southwestern Soup-South Beach Friendly!
This recipe was inspired by Progresso's Southwest Chicken Soup which my husband loves. We wanted a version that was easy to make, economical and still heart healthy. You can easily adapt this recipe to your own tastes, if you're not on a low sodium, low fat diet (like we are) try it with chicken thighs for added flavor! The healthy version uses no salt beans, tomatoes, & chicken broth, chicken breasts and low sodium salt. You can also easily make this recipe in a crockpot. To make it "South Beach Diet" friendly just omit the corn and rice for phase 1. Manja guilt free!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g chicken breast, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 396.89 g can Mexican-style tomatoes (go for plain, low sugar canned tomatoes if on the South Beach diet)
- 680.38 g jar salsa (we use southwestern style)
- 7 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 7.39 ml oregano leaves
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 29.58 ml cumin powder (or to taste)
- 2.46 ml salt (to taste)
- 396.89 g can black beans, rinsed (can increase to 2 cans)
- 2 (1814.36 g) container fat free chicken broth
- 226.79 g frozen corn (omit if on the South Beach diet)
- 226.79 g frozen cut green beans
- 59.14 ml cilantro leaf, chopped finely (optional)
- 473.18 ml Minute brown rice, cooked (omit if on phase 1 of the South Beach diet)
- 1Chop the chicken breasts into 1/2 in cubes and sprinkle with the dry spices and mix well to coat.
- 2In a large, heavy bottomed soup pot, brown the coated chicken in hot oil 3-5 minutes, stirring often. Add the onion and garlic and mix well. Cook an additional 3-5 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- 3Add the can of tomatoes and stir. Then add the jar of salsa and stir again. When this mixture begins to boil add the containers of chicken broth. Stir and bring to a boil.
- 4Add the beans, frozen corn and green beans. Note: may need to break the beans so they are bite sized (about 1/2 inch each).
- 5Bring to a boil again and reduce heat to simmer. Cook an additional 10-15 minutes until the beans and corn are tender.
- 6If rice is desired, cook separately according to package directions and add 1/4 cup to each bowl when serving.
- 7Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- 8Note: Omit corn and rice if you're on the South Beach Diet and increase beans to 2 cans. Also consider adding jicama for fiber and a lovely crunchy texture.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Savory Southwestern Soup-South Beach Friendly!
Serving Size: 1 (374 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.4
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 29.0 mg
- Sodium 1498.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 16.5 g