Recipe by Chandra M
The celery root in the topping gives this a very unique taste. And it has fennel, my favorite :)
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
- 1 medium celery root, peeled and cut in chunks (celeriac)
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 lb ground pork
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 2 medium parsnips, chopped
- 1 medium leek, white part chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄8 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sherry wine
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Boil potatoes and celery root until just fork tender, drain.
- Add the milk and 2 tbsp butter and mash until fairly smooth.
- Brown pork in a medium heavy skillet, remove from pan leaving the juices.
- In the skillet, add 2-3 tbsp butter to the meat juices and melt.
- Add the carrots, parsnips, leek, and fennel; cook until tender.
- Add the flour to the vegetables and stir to coat, cook 2 more minutes.
- Add the sherry, then the chicken broth.
- Stir the pork back in, scraping the pan bottom.
- Remove from heat.
- In a casserole dish, layer all the pork/veggie mixture, then the peas.
- Drop the potatoes on in spoonfuls and spread to cover.
- Dot the top with the remaining 1 tbsp butter.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes.