Recipe by yooper
Love this one! Very rich and cheesy. I use a mild Italian Sausage with this one.
Top Review by diamonds4heather
Excellent. The flavors of the sausage and the spinach are just great together. The recipe makes a very thick pie, the filling sets well and makes it easy to slice. I served this with mashed potatoes and peas. Oh, the pie also reheats very well. Thanks for a great recipe Yooper!!
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 6 eggs
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2⁄3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie
- 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large skillet brown sausage, drain.
- Seperate one of the eggs.
- Set yolk aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together remaining eggs, egg white, spinach, cheeses, and spices.
- Stir in sausage.
- Line 9 or 10 inch pie plate with bottom crust.
- Fill with sausage mixture.
- Place top crust over filling- flute edges.
- Combine reserved egg yolk and water and brush the mixture over the crust.
- Bake for 1 1/4 hours or till crust is golden and filling is set.
- Cool in pie plate on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.