Recipe by Guava Girl
A cold weather favorite. It is so easy and yet filling and flavorful. Good served with pierogi or even baked beans.
Top Review by Demandy
I thought this was quick, easy, and tasty! I had to sub molasses for the brown sugar (1 T instead of 2) because I had run out. Also my sauerkraut already had sugar and caraway in it, so I didn't add more. I used turkey smoked sausage, which tasted just as good. I'll definitely be making this again.
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 3 red potatoes, cleaned and diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups sauerkraut, drained, rinsed, & packed
- 1 -2 lb smoked sausage or 1 -2 lb kielbasa, cut in 3 inch pieces