Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Johnny Cash was my husband's cousin and I was lucky enough to obtain a cookbook of Johnny's mother's recipes titled, "Favorite Recipes From Mama Cash's Kitchen." I've been asked to post some of the recipes from the book and this is one of them.
- butter, 1 cube (don't know how much a cube is)
- 1 bunch green onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can consomme
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms, with liquid
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- Melt butter and cook minced onion in it.
- Add rice; brown lightly.
- Combine other ingredients with rice mixture and bring to boil.
- Cover; reduce heat and steam until liquid is absorbed.
- If rice is not done, add more water sparingly.
This recipe is delicious. The only changes I made (out of necessity) were: I had no green onions,so I had to use a yellow one, finely diced, and had only a 4oz can of mushrooms, which I thought was plenty. Other than that I followed the recipe as written. BTW, I believe a cube of butter is 1 tablespoon. Take one stick of cold butter, and with a sharp knife, cut through it at the tablespoon mark, and walla, a cube of butter, which is slightly more than a "pat" of butter. More can be used, if desired.
A new favororite!! Very,very good. DH loved it. Will be made again and again.Thank You for sharing this delightful recipe!!
This was outstanding with steaks and garlic string beans!