Recipe by vegan mom
I got this recipe from a friend who is a big meat eater. With a little tweaking I made it vegan, but the ingredients can be switched out for the meaty types if needed. I think she said it came from a cookbook by Paula Dean.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine (try Earth Balance)
- 1 cup vegetarian sausage, chopped (try Tofurky, italian sausage flavor)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) cancrushed tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 3 vegetable bouillon cubes
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a saucepan melt the butter over medium heat and saute the onion, pepper, and sausage until everything is lightly browned. Add the tomatoes, hot sauce, tomato sauce, water and bouillon cubes. Season the mix with salt and pepper as needed. Stir in the rice.
- Pour everything into a greased casserole dish and bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes.