Recipe by Lezlie
A fast supper for a hot summer's night. Different cheeses and greens vary the flavour, and I like the addition of cherry tomatoes.
Top Review by Kitchenette
Very good salad! An easy, yummy way to use leftover grilled steak. The dressing is delicious. I used olive oil instead of corn oil and added lots of black pepper, then tossed some carrots and tomatoes into the salad. I'll definitely make this again. Thanks, Lezlie.
- 1 bunch romaine lettuce
- 1 bunch watercress
- 1⁄2 English cucumber
- 1⁄4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 lb sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom
- 1⁄4 cup wine, red
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar, red wine
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup corn oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Vinaigrette Dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar,mustard, garlic, salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Gradually whisk in oil.Cover and refrigerate while preparing salad.
- Wash and dry lettuce and watercress. Tear lettuce into bite size pieces. Remove coarse stems from watercress. Cut cucumber in half lengthwise and slice.
- In a salad bowl, combine lettuce, watercress and cucumber.
- Drizzle with 1/2 cup of the dressing; sprinkle with blue cheese, toss gently.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat oil and butter until sizzling; cook steak and mushrooms, stirring often, for
- 2 - 3 minutes, for med rare, or longer for well done.
- Stir in wine and immediately pour over salad. Garnish with red onion rings and serve immediately. Pass remaining dressing separately.
- Serve with a crusty bread.
- Try experimenting with different greens and cheeses!