Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Chicken livers have always been a staple on my diet, from when I was a little girl.I have combined a few recipes with my own and I came up with this one. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do They are comfort food for me!.;)
- 1 lb chicken liver, cut in half & washed & patted dry
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced thin
- 3⁄4 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped (optional)
- 1⁄8 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup vegetable broth or 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine, good quality
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- chopped fresh parsley leaves, garnish
- cooked bacon (crispy & crumbled)
- white rice (fluffy, sprinkled with bacon) or basmati rice (sprinkled with parsley) or buttered broad egg noodle (with peas)
- Season livers with 3 Tablespoons of the flour and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Saute chicken livers in 2 Tablespoons butter, 5 minutes or until brown but still pink inside.
- Remove livers, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Add other tablespoon butter, if necessary.
- Saute mushrooms, onions and celery in drippings until golden brown.
- Stir in flour(I guessed at the amount - use little by little) salt & pepper with broth.
- Add Sherry, parsley and wocesterhsire sauce; bring to a boil.
- Add more flour if necessary, but remember to mix it with some liquid first, so that there won't be any lumps.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add chicken livers, simmer 3-5 additional minutes.
- Serve over fluffy white rice (sprinkled with bacon) or.
- Basmatti rice, sprinkled with chopped parsley (sprinkled with bacon) or.
- Buttered broad noodles with peas*.
- *Broad buttered noodles: boil noodles according to package instructions, drain and coat with butter, salt & pepper and combine with 1/4 cup frozen peas (defrosted).
Absolutely delicious!!! i made this pretty much the same way, except i had to add more butter, plus i added some garlic and cilantro. DH absolutely loved this. on a scale of 1 to 10, he usually gives most of my recipes an 8, but this actually got a 9 out of him. and if you knew how reserved he was, you would realize what a great rating and complement this actually is. kudos to whoever created this!
This is a WONDERFUL recipe! Great gravy (as BarbryT states) and the flavor just gets better if reheat second day. It's been a while since I made these (I looked for the recipe again as I have a "hankering" for chicken livers tonight) but I seem to recall that I needed to add more butter than what recipe calls for. I served with mashed potatoes as this is what my DH requested! Thanks very much for posting this recipe!
Delightful. This is the best gravy for chicken livers I ever have had (much less made). And the livers themselves are perfect. I am delighted I tried this; it is entirely delicious.