Recipe by Chef Edlear
This is a Deborah Madison recipe that my family enjoys. It's a visually striking dish, with the vibrant yellow tofu, sauteed asparagus green and the red tomatoes. We like this served with steamed rice. I always take the time to fuss over the tofu saute step, individually hand placing every square of tofu, but I'm obsessive like that. I know it doesn't need that kind of over - involvement to taste good. I also tend to peel my asparagus stalks if they show any signs of being tough or woody.
Top Review by Katsuharsh
I am just now liking Tofu AND Asparagus. I don't know why in all my years that I never would try either of them. So I'm always looking for recipes for both of them. Trying to get my husband to like them too. I made this for dinner last nite and it was Excellent!! I had everything except for the Roma tomatoes so I just opened a can of diced tomatoes and drained off most of the juice. While we were eating husband kept going on at how good this was. Luckily there was just enough leftovers for the both of us today. This is a definate keeper! Thanks so much.
- 1 lb firm tofu or 1 lb extra firm tofu
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 teaspoons light olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus, tough ends trimmed and discarded, stalks cut into 3 inch pieces
- red pepper flakes
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or 3 tablespoons parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice the tofu into pieces the size of sugar cubes.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, add in the tofu cubes and reduce the heat.
- Simmer for two minutes. Carefully drain (the tofu is a bit fragile at this point) and then gently pat dry. Toss the cubes with 1/2 teaspoon salt, ground black pepper to taste, the sugar, turmeric, and curry powder. (sometimes I lay the tofu out on a plate and sprinkle the seasoning on, turning the tofu to get all the sides covered rather than "tossing").
- Saute the seasoned tofu in the 2 tablespoons oil, heated, over medium high heat until golden but still tender. turn the tofu so that all the sides are colored. Remove the cubes to a plate, covered to stay warm, and return the skillet to the heat. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the 2 teaspoon of oil to the pan, and when it's hot, add in the onion, garlic and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the cumin. Cook until the onion is translucent. Turn the heat to high, and add in the asparagus, red pepper flakes and salt to taste. Saute until the asparagus is tender but not limp, and a beautiful bright green. The timing will depend on the thickness of the stalks. Add in the tomatoes and the tofu, saute to heat through. Turn off the heat and add in the cilantro or parsley and the remaining cumin (if needed).
- Serve immediately.