Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are a really nice variation on a lunch sandwich. Our boys gobble these up! (they are ages 5 & 4) We enjoy these with a bowl of soup or served with salad. ENJOY!
- 8 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 16 ounces sauerkraut, drained
- 1⁄2 lb fully cooked smoked kielbasa or 1⁄2 lb Polish sausage, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 16 ounces hot roll mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water (120-130*)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, softened
- sesame or poppy seed
- Reserve bacon fat& saute onion until tender in the fat.
- Stir in sauerkraut, sausage, brown sugar, garlic salt, caraway and pepper.
- Cook& stir 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add bacon.
- Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, combine hot roll mix& one egg, water and butter& mix to form soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth& elastic- about 5 minutes.
- Cover dough& let stand 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 16 pieces.
- On a floured surface, roll each piece into a 4" circle.
- Top each circle w/ approx.
- 1/4 c.
- Fold dough around filling, forming a ball; pinch the edges to seal.
- Place seam side down on greased cookie sheets.
- Cover w/ towels& set in warm place to rise for 30 minutes.
- Beat remaining egg; brush over bundles.
- Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.
- Bake@ 350 for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Made this tonight with the hopes of taking some to school tomorrow... Unfortunately I am down to only 3 out of the original 16 and I am not sure those will last through the night. They were a big hit with everyone in the house. Will make them again.
Splendid! Will certainly make again and again. Thanks for sharing.
I served these for Football Sunday and the men yelled as loud for these as they did at the TV! I used Pilsbury biscuits instead of the hot roll mix and it was still a great combination. Awesome way to use up leftovers from a week-end cookout! Thank you!