Recipe by calamari
A Christmas morning favorite, or anytime you're serving breakfast to overnight guests. Making this dish the day before and refrigerating overnight is recommended to develop flavor.
Top Review by mich2brd
YUM!! I have been looking for this recipe after a similar strata was served at my bridal shower brunch. This recipe is delightful and how nice to just wake up in the morning, pull the prepared strata out of the fridge, then pop in oven. I only used 1 1/2 lbs sausage and it still was very meaty. I also added french fried onions in the first layer just because I wanted to use up a bag I had and it was a tasty addition. Otherwise, followed to the letter, baked 50 minutes and it was fantastic. I made it for a mothers day brunch and everyone just gobbled it up.
- 2 lbs pork sausage
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green bell peppers (optional) or 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 12 slices white bread, crust removed
- 1 lb shredded cheddar cheese or 1 lb swiss cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- The day before:.
- Grease a 9"x13" baking pan.
- In a large skillet, saute sausage and peppers. Break up the sausage, stirring and frying until it is well-browned. Drain off the fat. Stir mustard into the sausage.
- Arrange 6 slices of bread on bottom of baking pan. Top with 1/2 of the sausage and 1/2 of the cheese. Repeat with remaining bread, sausage, and cheese to make a second layer.
- Beat eggs in large bowl. Beat in milk, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Pour beaten mixture over layers in the baking pan.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
- On serving day:.
- Remove baking pan from refrigerator one hour before cooking to reach room temperature.
- Bake uncovered at 350F for 40-50 minutes or until center seems set. Serve immediately.