10 hrs 25 mins
A Christmas morning favorite, or anytime you're serving breakfast to overnight guests. Making this dish the day before and refrigerating overnight is recommended to develop flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs pork sausage
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell peppers (optional) or 1/4 cup red bell pepper (optional)
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 12 slices white bread, crust removed
- 1 lb shredded cheddar cheese or 1 lb swiss cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1The day before:.
- 2Grease a 9"x13" baking pan.
- 3In a large skillet, saute sausage and peppers. Break up the sausage, stirring and frying until it is well-browned. Drain off the fat. Stir mustard into the sausage.
- 4Arrange 6 slices of bread on bottom of baking pan. Top with 1/2 of the sausage and 1/2 of the cheese. Repeat with remaining bread, sausage, and cheese to make a second layer.
- 5Beat eggs in large bowl. Beat in milk, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Pour beaten mixture over layers in the baking pan.
- 6Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
- 7On serving day:.
- 8Remove baking pan from refrigerator one hour before cooking to reach room temperature.
- 9Bake uncovered at 350F for 40-50 minutes or until center seems set. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage Strata
Serving Size: 1 (299 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 807.9
- Calories from Fat 525
- Total Fat 58.3 g
- Saturated Fat 26.1 g
- Cholesterol 316.9 mg
- Sodium 1499.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 42.8 g