Italian Sausage Cheese Strata Recipe
photo by twissis
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 10 slices day-old bread
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- 8 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- pepper, to taste
- 2 cups prepared spaghetti sauce, warmed
- Preheat oven to 350°F; grease a 13-by-9-inch pan.
- Trim crusts from bread and cube.
- Crumble sausage into a large skillet; sauté with onion, mushrooms and pepper. Place half the bread cubes in prepared pan, top with half the sausage mixture and half the cheese; repeat layers.
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs, milk, Italian seasoning, garlic and salt; pour over the filled casserole. Let stand 15 minutes so bread can soak up egg mixture.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes, cut into squares and serve drizzled with warm spaghetti sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this tonight for a brekky type supper. Per family's preference I omitted the mushrooms, greenpepper and onion. I know I know...they like just plain ol, plain ol. I also didn't have whole milk and so used skim with a touch of 1/2 and 1/2. This would make a lovely brunch type casserole and I plan on making this again as it went over really well. Made for 123Hits.~
If there was an *Italian Comfort Food Cookbook* , this recipe would be in it. It is like a really good lasagna w/o the fuss & w/tomato sauce optional. I made a half recipe exactly as written. It is good as is & that was DHs pref. I ate mine w/the sauce & a sprinkle of Parmesan as pictured. We liked this a lot & versatile recipes like this get high marks from me for being family-friendly, ingredient-friendly & budget friendly. You could go for a more pizza version by using pepperoni & adding black olives. Must be a recipe worthy of 5* since I am already planning the encore. :-)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am going to use this spot to put some of my favorite cooking tips and tricks that don't really warrant going in as a recipe and so I don't lose them!!